Saturday, September 18, 2010

Austria - Part I

I'm not sure really how to start this post.  There is so much to write about, so many pictures and so little time and space.  So I have decided to split it up into two posts so hopefully it won't be so overwhelming for you and me!

I had an awesome time in Austria with Katie.  I will never be able to fully express how appreciative I am that Katie invited me on this trip.  Not only was it a unbelievable just being in Europe, but getting to spend a week of quality time with Katie was great.

After an extremely cold, 10 hour flight, with a several hour layover in Houston.  Katie and I finally made it to Vienna around 8:00pm Thursday evening Austria time.  We were very tired with greasy hair so we checked in, unpacked, took showers, ordered room service and went to bed.

Friday morning we were suppose to go on a bus tour of the city but due to a slight case of jet lag we opted to sleep in and explore the city ourselves that afternoon.  We had a blast getting familiar with the area surrounding our hotel.  We shopped, tried our first Austrian cuisine and walked through beautiful parks.

This was the park that was right across the street from our hotel.  It was gorgeous!!


That gold statue is a statue of Mozart as a young child.

This guy was playing as we strolled through the park....it was very picturesque!

Friday evening we met up for dinner with Katie's friend Travis and his friend Pat.  Travis is also a State Farm agent.  Let me just say that dinner with Travis and Pat was a real treat....I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time!
Katie and Travis on our way to dinner.

On Saturday we got up early and took a bus trip to Salzburg.  We were both still pretty tired/jet lagged so we slept a good a bit of the bus ride but it was very cool getting to see the Austrian countryside.  It is absolutely beautiful!!  Once we arrived in Salzburg, our tour guide pointed us in the direction of some tourist hotspots and we took off walking.  We ate at one of the oldest restaurants in Salzburg.  At the restaurant we met up with Katie's good friend Stephanie and her husband Kirk.  Here are some highlights of what we saw in Salzburg:
The garden where "Do Re Mi" from The Sound of Music was filmed.

A fountain from the same garden.  I believe the Von Trapp children skipped around this fountain in the movie.

We breezed by Mozart's home.

This is "The Fortress."  It was built into the mountain and was really a city within the city.  You could easily get lost in this place!

Katie and I at the top of "The Fortress" with a hint  of the Swiss Alps in the background.

After touring through "The Fortress" it was time for us to head back to the bus.  The bus ride back to Austria was HOT and we were all very tired from walking all over Salzburg.  Plus our tour guide played the entire soundtrack of The Sound of Music on the ride back.   That was fun at first but others thought it necessary to show off their singing abilities and me, Katie, Stephanie and Kirk got slightly annoyed.  Needless to say, we were happy to get back to the hotel.  I took a nap the minute we got back (don't forget....I was just 8 weeks pregnant so not only was I "first trimester tired" but I just walked ALL OVER Salzburg).  Katie and I decided that this was another good night for a shower and room service, followed by a movie on my laptop since only two channels on the television were in English.  Stay tuned for Part II!!


No comments:

Post a Comment